accident lawyers canada

address 1
address 2
address 3
email address
phone number
injury date
incident details

Burn Scald Lawyer - Accident Injury Compensation Claims - Canada

LAWYER HELPLINE: 855 804 7125

A catastrophic injury lawyer is a specialist personal injury advocate with expertise in serious personal injury compensation claims including burns and scalds. Our burns and scalds lawyers offer a wealth of experience relating to injury compensation claims and give advice at no cost with no further obligation on legal liability and the potential value of a catastrophic injury damages claim. Payment for services is based on a contingency fee basis which means that we only get paid when you get paid. If the case is lost there is nothing whatsoever to pay. There are time limits in all personal injury compensation claims and failure to take legal action within the limitation period can mean that the opportunity to claim compensation is lost forever. If you have suffered a burn or a scald or other catastrophic injury caused by a negligent third party you should contact one of our burns and scalds compensation lawyers without delay.

Categories of Burns & Scalds

One of the most painful injuries a person can sustain is a burn or a scald. Patients at the greatest risk of burns and scalds are children under the age of 4 and the elderly. For adults the risk of burns and scalds comes primarily out of a work-related injury. Almost all burns and scalds need some medical attention but some burns and scalds are much more serious than others.

Burns come in three different types. Doctors use these different types to define the appearance of the wound and to indicate the best possible way to treat the injury. The types of injury are as follows: -


Burns and scalds are usually acquired by one of four main methods as follows :-

First Steps

The first way to stop a burn is to prevent it altogether. You need to stop the burning process and get rid of any source of the heat and you need to stay away from dangerous heat sources. If you are on fire, you need to put out any flames with the application of water or you need to smother the fire with a heavy blanket or sweatshirt. Stop, drop and roll to remove sources of flame.

If you have a chemical burn, remove the chemical by adding copious amounts of water to the wounded area until the burning has diminished. Do not use baking soda or vinegar to try and neutralize the chemical burn. This will only add heat to an otherwise burned area.

If there is clothing that is covering the burn, remove it, but don't remove clothing that has stuck to burned skin. This can harm skin. The idea is to keep skin as cool as possible by keeping it open to the air so that it can keep the skin cool while the burning process is going on. If you are burned with tar, cool the skin with water but don't try to peel off the tar. Leave this to the professionals.

If you are exposed to an electrical burn, shut off all sources of power before attempting to apply aid to the affected individual. Do not get near someone who has been exposed to a high-voltage energy source until the energy source has been eliminated.

In a chemical burn, remove affected clothing and brush off any dry chemical. Water, as mentioned, is crucial to getting rid of the source of the burning. Aim to apply water for 20-30 minutes. Running water is best as it keeps cool water flowing over the burned area. Ice or very cold water can damage the skin so avoid these things.

Next Steps

Ideally, you should cover the burn with sterilized cling film that does not stick to skin. This can be rolled out and can put pressure on the skin so that blisters are less likely to form and get big. Let the cling film be applied to the skin up until the time it is seen by a doctor or other health professional. Don't wrap the cling film around the wounded extremity completely or you will potentially cut off the circulation to the affected area as it swells.

Be sure to give some kind of pain killer early on in the treatment. Tylenol or ibuprofen work well to ease the pain and inflammation of the burn.

Some things to avoid in the secondary stages include not to prick the blisters. This can cause bacteria to get inside the blister and cause a nasty infection. Also do not put butter, greases, oils or ointments to the wound unless it is a mild sunburn. In that case, use a soothing moisturizing cream as a soothing agent. Also don't put any adhesive, sticky substance or fluffy dressing on the wound until it is seen by a doctor.

When to get Help

If you have a simple first degree burn that does not have any blisters or a second degree burn with only minor blistering, you probably don't need medical attention and can manage the care of the burn at home. If you have deep tissue damage or large blisters, it is a good idea to get medical attention. Sometimes large areas of sunburn can be treated with oral corticosteroids and you need to see your medical provider for that. Small blistered burns are best left open to the air to keep them cool and so you can watch the burn for evidence of infection.

See a doctor if your burn oozes pus or has increasing areas of redness spreading from the burn. Burns that become more painful rather than less painful are suspicious for being infected. In addition, if you are not current on your tetanus shot, you should ask your doctor whether or not you need one. If the blisters are large, the doctor may want to strip away the blister and apply a burn cream to prevent infection.

When Burns get Severe

Any electrical burn should be considered severe because you don't know the extent of the burn internally. If a burn is third degree or full thickness, you need to seek medical attention. The burned area needs to be debrided, possibly in the operating room and skin grafts may need to be applied. Any partial thickness wound of the hands, face, genitals or large areas of the extremities are considered severe. They will cause blistering and can scar, especially if they get infected.

Burns & Scalds Compensation Lawyers

If you are an innocent victim of an accident, you need to see a burns and scalds compensation lawyer who will examine your case to see if it was simply an accident without negligence or if the company or another party was negligent in causing your injuries. Sometimes a factory has defective equipment that results in burns and scalds. In other cases burns and scalds are caused by the negligent action of another person who may be a co-worker. In most cases the matter will be taken up by the employers insurance company.

Many burns and scalds are associated with other injuries, such as breathing problems, organ failure and broken bones. Together these multiple injuries may form a catastrophic injury requiring urgent medical treatment and subsequent long term care. The personal injury lawyer considers all of these injuries together and determines the value of pain and suffering, the cost of long term medical care, the lost wages from the time of the accident, loss of lifestyle and all other relevant losses when coming to an overall valuation which forms the basis of the compensation claim. Burns can be disfiguring and, especially in women, a part of the claim is from the loss of appearance due to scarring.

© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved | site map